The Master of Public Affairs (MPA)

Financial Aid and Program Costs

Nine sources of financial assistance are offered to MPA graduate students: Graduate Assistantships; NCCCMA Scholarship; Next Generation Graduate Award; Americorps Scholarships; Cemala Foundation Fellowship; Graduate Dean’s Awards; May Davidson Scholarship; Annie Parham Scholarship; and Paid Internships.

Graduate Assistantships

The Department of Political Science offers graduate assistantships to a limited number of full-time graduate students. Such students must take at least 6 graduate credits and should not have any other employment. Application for assistantships is made by letter to the Graduate Director, Department of Political Science, UNCG. Students interested in an assistantship for the fall should apply by March 15.

NCCCMA Scholarship

A scholarship for a full-time student interested in a city or county management career is awarded annually by the North Carolina City and County Management Association.

Next Generation Graduate Award

This scholarship is funded by our MPA Alumni, and is awarded to two to five students annually, based primarily on their academic record, though financial need may also be considered.

New Annie Parham Scholarship for Local Government Management Students

A $1000 annual scholarship for two years will be awarded in Fall 2018 to a part-time or full-time student who plans to pursue a local government career.  Priority will be given to current employees working in city or county government.  Apply by June 15.

Cemala Foundation Fellowship

ELIGIBILITY: Up to $11,000 per year for a full-time student who works 10 hours a week for a local nonprofit organization and assists with the MPA program.

Cemala Foundation Scholarship For Interns

The Cemala Foundation provides some funds for unpaid interns in the MPA program who work for a nonprofit agency in Guilford County.

May Davidson Scholarship

Due to the generosity of a UNCG graduate, the department can award one to three scholarships to financially needy students.

The University maintains an Office of Financial Aid, and students needing financial assistance (other than assistantships) should contact this office for work-study assistance and student loans.

Program Costs

For a per semester cost estimate for both in-state and out-of-state students, please click on the above link.